PALAIS THEATRE SET TO RE OPEN!
St Kilda’s much loved Palais Theatre is currently undergoing it’s biggest renovation since opening in November 1927 with around $26 million being invested in the Venue by the State Government, Local Government and Live Nation which will breathe new life in to this wonderful and historic art deco Venue.
The Palais is set to open on Thursday May 18, 2017 to host the St Kilda Film Festival Opening Night, with the festival’s full program released two days ago, with works continuing around the event schedule through to August 2017. On Tuesday May 30, 2017 the stage of the Palais will host an ensemble of Melbourne’s leading chefs and around 200 guests for the annual Dine With Heart Gala Dinner, followed by a diverse event schedule including Village People & Bjorn Again, Train, Adam Ant, Richard Clayderman, Boney M and more.
The works to the venue have been broken down in to two phases to minimise the time frame that the Venue would be closed for and to separate the works that were being managed and paid for the City of Port Phillip/State Government and those being undertaken directly by Live Nation.
Phase One Works
The phase works have been completed and these works were undertaken and funded by the State Government of Victoria and the City of Port Phillip;
- Restoration of the entire exterior of the building (as much as practical, returning it to its original state)
- Repair of external windows and facades
- Structural repairs
- Upgrade of electrical system
- Upgrade of lighting system
- Repair and upgrade Palais Theatre Sign
- Upgrade fire system
- Installation of additional safe access walkways
Phase Two Works
The works currently being undertaken and funded by Live Nation are as follows;
- Restoration of the historic ceiling domes inside the Auditorium
- Installation of reduced mode curtains to close off the dress circle
- Refurbish the front foyer
- Installation of a lift
- Improve mobility impaired facilities such as toilet access, general movement, seating and ticket windows.
- Refurbishment of the performers dressings rooms
- New administration offices
- Installation of a new central beverage outlet on the 1st level foyer
- Installation of a glass enclosed balcony on 1st level (Winter Garden)
- Upgrade of food, beverage , cloak room and merchandise outlets.
The above works will go a long way to restoring the Venue to its original state and with a 30 year management contract in place for the Palais Theatre, Live Nation Australia Venues are committed to ongoing investment in this wonderful Venue. See the full line up of events here: palaistheatre.com.au.